Man City and Inter Milan to resume talks over Carlos Tevez
IN ASSOCIATION WITH
Page last updated at 15:19 GMT, Friday, 13 January 2012
Inter Milan are ready to reopen talks with Manchester City over Carlos Tevez after AC Milan pulled out of negotiations for the Argentine striker.Inter president Massimo Moratti had expected the 27-year-old to join their rivals but will restart discussions after Sunday's Milan derby.
"There has certainly been contact [with City]," admitted Moratti.
Milan withdrew from talks on Thursday after their forward Alexandre Pato refused to join Paris St Germain.
City have been frustrated by the Italian champions' insistence on a loan deal with an option to buy.
Tevez's representatives have yet to hold discussions with Inter and no fee has been agreed.
The Argentine would seem to prefer a move to Milan and his advisors want to finalise a deal before the window closes.
TEVEZ SAGA TIMELINEContinue reading the main story
- 27 September 2011 - City boss Roberto Mancini says that he wants Tevez "out of the club" after the striker allegedly refuses to play against Bayern Munich
- 28 September 2011 - City suspend Tevez for two weeks
- 25 October 2011 - Tevez found guilty of five breaches of contract and fined four weeks' wages - later reduced to two weeks' following intervention by the PFA
- 8 November 2011 - Tevez accepts a misconduct charge
- 9 November 2011 - Tevez misses training
- 6 December 2011 - AC Milan make a formal offer for Tevez, which is rejected
- 11 December 2011 - City insist reports PSG are to sign Tevez are untrue
- 19 December 2011 - City confirm scheduled talks with AC Milan over Tevez
Fifth-placed Inter trail leaders AC Milan by eight points having had a poor start to the Serie A season.
City manager Roberto Mancini said on Tuesday he was confident Tevez would find a new club before the end of the January transfer window.
"I think maybe we can find a good solution in January, also because it is important for Carlos. Now it is three or four months that he hasn't played," he said.
"I know that there is Inter maybe that is interested because I read the newspapers, and [AC] Milan the same but I don't know the last news."
Tevez has not played for City since they beat Birmingham on 21 September.
Mancini alleged he refused to come off the substitutes' bench in September's Champions League defeat at Bayern Munich, while the player maintained there had been a misunderstanding.
An internal club investigation concluded that Tevez, who joined City in July 2009, was guilty of five breaches of his contract and he was fined four weeks' wages, reduced to two following intervention from the Professional Footballers' Association.